- Wireless Setup
Your setup process varies depending on what kind of computer or mobile device you use, but don't worry--we offer detailed instructions for every type of equipment on our Setup Guide page.
Do you have an iOS device, such as an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch? If so, use it! It's the quickest, most seamless way to connect your thermostat to the Internet.
Still have questions? We have answers and some tips for troubleshooting.
- Back to TopI'm done installing my Filtrete thermostat, and I'd like to control it remotely using the web and mobile devices. What should I do next?
Go to https://my.radiothermostat.com/filtrete and sign up for an account. When prompted, choose the method of setup that's right for you based on your equipment.
If you have an iOS device such an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, we strongly recommend you install your thermostat using the iOS app. It's the quickest and easiest way to go.
If you don't have an iOS device, choose the type of computer (Windows or Mac) you want to use to connect your thermostat, download the corresponding Wireless Setup Guide, and follow its instructions carefully.
- Back to TopCan I use my iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to connect my thermostat to the Internet?
Yes. Just download the iOS app. We recommend this as the best way to connect your thermostat to the Internet.
- Back to TopCan I use my Android device to connect my thermostat to the Internet?
No, at present you cannot use your Android device to connect your thermostat to the Internet. Android users should use one of the other methods.
However, once you've connected your thermostat to the Internet, you can use your Android device to manage your Thermostat settings. Download the Android app.
Problems you may encounter while connecting your thermostat to the Internet
If you have a problem at any point during the process of connecting your thermostat to the Internet, the first thing to check is your C-wire connection. To do this, remove one of your thermostat's batteries and wait several seconds. If it loses power, your thermostat's C wire is not functioning properly. Consult your thermostat's Install Guide for instructions on proper C wire installation.
If your C wire is functioning and you're still having difficulty, read on:
- Back to TopI can't open http://192.168.10.1.
First, confirm that your thermostat is ready to connect by verifying that the yellow light on the left side of your thermostat display is blinking. If the yellow light isn't blinking, reset your thermostat by pressing the thermostat's MENU button, so that MATE appears on the left side of the display. Press MATE twice. When the yellow light (middle of the three) starts blinking, you're ready to connect.
If the web address still won't open, confirm that your computer or mobile device is connected to the thermostat's temporary wireless network. (For example: "thermostat-E1-2F-19.")
In addition, make sure you aren't running any firewall programs that prevent you from connecting to temporary networks. Refer to the instructions that came with your security software for how to temporarily disable this setting.
- Back to TopMy thermostat isn't displaying a five digit PIN.
Your thermostat shows its five digit PIN when it is in "provisioning" mode. That means it's ready to be connected to the Internet. To switch your thermostat into provisioning mode, press the MENU button. When "MATE" appears on the display, press it twice. After a moment your thermostat will return to provisioning mode – signified by a flashing yellow light (middle of the three) next to the display – and the five digit PIN will appear.
- Back to TopI attempted to set up a static IP, and it isn't working.
When you open the Advanced tab during the setup process, check to make sure the subnet mask listed there matches the subnet mask of your current network. In addition, make sure the thermostat is on the same subdomain as the router. (That is, if the router's domain is 10.0.1.2, the thermostat's domain should be something like 10.0.1.5.)
- Back to TopI entered my thermostat's IP address into the URL field of my browser, but my computer can't communicate with the thermostat.
Confirm that you have disconnected your computer from your thermostat's temporary wireless network, and reconnected it to your familiar home network. You should also verify that you have correctly entered the thermostat's IP address using the instructions in the Wireless Setup Guide. If your thermostat is far from your wireless Internet router, you may need to move the router closer to the thermostat. If the problem persists, reset the thermostat by lifting off its top cover and pressing the RESET button. If that doesn't work, try resetting your router.
- Back to TopI can't find my thermostat's UUID number.
Confirm that you have disconnected your computer from your thermostat's temporary wireless network, and reconnected it to your familiar home network.
- Back to TopAt the end of the setup process I received the message, "Cloud Status: Connection Error"
Unfortunately, something has gone wrong. Reset your thermostat and router, and repeat the setup process.
- Back to TopIn the manual connection process I don't see a place to enter the authentication key.
Usually this indicates the process has previously been run to completion. The next step is to perform a factory reset on the thermostat. Press Menu, then with one finger press and hold the middle of the thermostat screen. When the arrows appear, press the down arrow once. After the countdown is complete the thermostat will reset and you can restart the connection process from the beginning.
- Back to TopI've been waiting for my thermostat to connect to finish installation, but it never connects. What's wrong?
If you're manually setting up the thermostat and you've completed all the steps in the setup guide but the thermostat won't connect here are a few troubleshooting tips:
- Mistyped UUID – Did you type the UUID from the web page? If not try copy and paste to make sure you got it correctly.
- Firewalls, parental controls, and other internet blockers – Do you have anything that blocks traffic on your router? Some people have theirs set up to block unknown traffic, check with your home's tech guru to make sure the traffic is set to flow.
- Try a reset – Everything else correct? Try a reset: Remove the top cover and press the RESET button near the top left corner. Wait 60 seconds and then try again.
- Website & Mobile Apps
- Back to TopWhy bother setting a heating and cooling schedule?
Setting a schedule saves you money and energy. Many people fail to set heating and cooling schedules because their thermostats are just too difficult to operate. Your account, by contrast, offers an intuitive interface that makes setting your schedule a breeze.
- Back to TopWhat is ENERGY STAR®? Why should I follow its recommendations?
ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy. The program's purpose is to help us save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.
With the help of ENERGY STAR, Americans saved enough energy in 2010 alone to avoid greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 33 million cars – all while saving nearly $18 billion on their utility bills.*
- Back to TopI forgot the password used for my account. How do I recover it?
Visit the Reset Password page. We'll email you a special link that will allow you to change your password. The link is only valid for 24 hours.
- Back to TopWhat is the Target Temperature?
It's the temperature your thermostat will keep your home at or near. If your home is in cooling mode, your cooling system will turn on if the temperature in your home rises above the target. If your home is in heating mode, your heating system will turn on if the temperature in your home falls below the target.
- Back to TopExplain the four Modes. What's the difference between Heat, Cool, Auto, and Off?
If your home is in Cool mode, your cooling system will turn on if the temperature in your home rises above the target. Cool mode is best for the summer months, when there's no chance you'll want your heat system activated. To protect your cooling equipment from possible damage, do not use Cool mode when the outdoor temperature is below 50°F/10°C.
If your home is in Heat mode, your heating system will turn on if the temperature in your home falls below the target. Heat mode is best for the winter months, when there's no chance you'll want your cool system activated.
If your home is in Auto mode, heating or cooling modes will be automatically activated within the range of your heating and cooling schedules. To protect your cooling equipment from possible damage, do not use Auto mode when the outdoor temperature is below 50°F/10°C.
If your home is in Off mode, you are not using your HVAC system to control your home's temperature.
- Back to TopWhat are my Fan settings for?
When your fan is set to Auto, it remains off until needed to circulate warm or cool air through your home. When your fan is set to On, it runs continuously, even if your HVAC system is not actively heating or cooling your home. Setting your fan to Auto is the more energy-efficient choice.
- Back to TopWhat does the Set Away button do?
Clicking on Set Away is an easy and convenient way to set your home to an energy-efficient temperature while you're away. Going back to your normal schedule is just as easy – click End Away when you return. You can change the thermostat's Away temperature on the Settings tab of the Thermostat page.
- Back to TopWhat does the Hold button do?
The Hold button maintains your home at its current target temperature even if a schedule change should occur. It's there in case you deviate from your usual routine – you're throwing a party in your home, for example, and don't want your home to shift into its overnight temperature setting. You can find the Hold button on the thermostat's Schedule tab on the Thermostat page.
But don't just set your thermostat to Hold and leave it there! You'll miss out on the savings and efficiency only a schedule can provide. Use the End Hold button on the thermostat's Temperature or Schedule tab on the Thermostat page to resume your normal schedule.
- Back to TopHow long does it take for changes I make on the website or mobile apps to take effect?
Changes you make to your thermostat settings from the website can take up to five minutes to take effect on your thermostat. For the mobile apps, changes should take effect immediately when you are connected to the same wireless network as your thermostat. Changes made from other wireless networks or from outside your home can take up to five minutes to take effect.
- Back to TopWhat happens if my thermostat goes offline?
Your thermostat will maintain the schedule you have set for it even when it's not connected to the Internet. To reconnect your thermostat:
- First check that your wireless router is working and you have access to the Internet. If your Internet connection or router is down, your thermostat will reconnect automatically when your Internet connection is restored.
- If that doesn't work, try resetting your thermostat. Remove the top cover and hold down the RESET button for a few seconds and then release. Your thermostat should reconnect after the reset is complete.
- If your thermostat still won't reconnect, check that your thermostat has power, as the wireless connection will not work on battery power alone. To test power, remove one of the batteries. If, after one minute, the thermostat is still functioning, then your thermostat has sufficient power. For help with power, visit: http://www.radiothermostat.com/filtrete/help/power.htm
- If none of the above steps resolves the issue, you should perform the setup process again. Start by pressing the thermostat's MENU button, so that MATE appears on the left side of the display. Press MATE twice. When the yellow light starts blinking, you're ready to continue with the setup process. You should consult the appropriate Setup Guide on the Support page.
- Back to TopHow many thermostats can I connect to an account?
There is no limit to the number of thermostats you can connect to your account.
- Back to TopHow do I move a thermostat to a different user account?
The easiest way to move a thermostat to a different user account is to share the thermostat. See the question "How do I share a thermostat with someone who has a different user account?" If you'd like to remove the thermostat from your account, go to the Locations page, select "share location" and click "Remove Shared Location."
- Back to TopHow do I change the email address associated with my existing Filtrete account?
Sign In to your existing Filtrete account with your current email using a web browser. Once Signed In to your account, click on your name in the top right corner of the screen and select "Account Info." Here you will be able to change the email address associated with your account. NOTE: You will only be able to set your email address to one that has never been used to create a Filtrete account. If you are looking to move your thermostats to another existing Filtrete account, please see the question about moving thermostats.
- Back to TopHow do I remove a thermostat from my account?
Starting on the thermostats page, select "Manage location(s)..." from the location drop down to access the Locations page. There you can delete thermostat from your account.
- Back to TopHow do I share a thermostat with someone who has a different user account?
You can share thermostat control with friends and family without sharing your password. Navigate to the Locations tab on your Profile. Select the "share location" link for the location you want to share. Now just enter the other person's email address, and they'll get an invitation to share access to the thermostats in that location.
- Back to TopI'm moving to a new home. Will I need to repeat the process of connecting my thermostat to the Internet using my account?
Maybe. If you use the same wireless router and network name, your thermostat should reconnect automatically in your new location. Otherwise, you must reconnect your thermostat to the Internet using the setup process. Don't forget to update your Profile with your new location's information.
- Back to TopWill I get notification if my thermostat drops offline?
Yes, you'll get an automatic email notification when your thermostat has been offline for 24 hours without connecting. You can change your notification preferences for a thermostat on the Settings tab of the Thermostat page.
- Back to TopCan I use my smartphone to control my thermostat?
- Back to TopI put my Thermostat in Auto mode. Why can't I change the Target Temperature?
If your thermostat is in Auto mode Heat or Cool modes will be automatically activated within the range of your heating and cooling schedules. You may notice that on the website and mobile apps you can't make any temporary changes to the current Target Temperature. In addition you won't see the current Target Temperatures for Heating and Cooling.
Currently those options are not available. To make a temporary Target Temperature change please select Heat or Cool mode, then choose a new Target Temperature.
- Back to TopHow can I change my thermostat units from Fahrenheit to Celsius?
The units used on the web and mobile applications can be changed by logging into the web app and editing your profile. On the profile page you can change your Temperature Preference. This change will be applied to the web and mobile apps. To change the preference for the thermostat please refer to the Operating Manual.
- Back to TopWhat are Temperature Alerts?
Temperature Alerts send you an email when the temperature in your home falls outside a range you set. For example, you can ask to receive an email if the temperature inside your home falls below 50 °F. In this example, you will also receive an email once an hour until the temperature inside your home goes above 50 °F.
To set up temperature alerts, visit the Alerts tab on the Profile page.
- Back to TopWhat is HVAC Runtime?
With HVAC Runtime, you can monitor your HVAC system's performance. Find out just how much your heating and cooling system is running each day and why. Review historical data on the web or your mobile device.
- Back to TopCan I download my Runtime data?
Yes, you can download the data on the web. Click the "Download last 30 days" button.
- Back to TopWhy is my runtime data unavailable?
Your thermostat collects data about when your heating or air conditioning system is operating. This data, called runtime, may not be reported due to the thermostat being offline, having a weak connection, or other thermostat errors. The most common reason your data may be missing is because your thermostat is currently offline or was offline during the time period being reviewed. For more information please see "What happens if my thermostat goes offline?"
- Back to TopWhat is Radius?
Radius helps you save money and energy by automatically setting Away when your mobile device leaves an area that you define (a perimeter around your location address).
To activate Radius, you should first confirm that you have the latest app by checking the App Store on iOS or Google Play on Android. Then Sign Out on the mobile app and Sign In again.
- Back to TopWhat devices are compatible with Radius?
Radius is compatible with iPhone 4 and later generations of iPhone devices with location services turned on and OS 4.3 or higher. Radius is not compatible with the iPad. Radius is also compatible with Android devices with location services enabled.
- Back to TopHow does Radius work?
Radius uses the location services built into your device to determine when you've left your location and turns on Away for your thermostat(s). For example, let's say you set a 5 mile radius. Once you've gone 5 miles from your home in any direction, Away mode will activate. On your way home, once you get within 5 miles, the app will turn Away mode off, and your normal schedule will resume.
- Back to TopWith Radius, can I use multiple devices?
Yes, if your household has more than one supported device (currently available for iPhone and Android devices with location support) you can register each of these devices. Tap the Radius icon, then tap Update Devices to see which devices have been set up for Radius.
- Back to TopCan I remove a device from Radius?
Yes, tap the Radius icon, then tap Update Devices to see which devices have been set up for Radius. From this screen you can remove devices. In particular you may want to remove any devices you no longer own or want to control with Radius.
- Back to TopIf I'm using Radius on multiple devices, can I override one of them?
Yes, you can override the Away or Home status of one of your devices. Tap the Radius icon, and then tap Update Devices. Tap the device you'd like to override to make a change.
- Back to TopCan someone visiting my home override Radius?
Of course! If someone in the home manually adjusts the thermostat, Away mode will end, and your schedule will resume.
- Back to TopWhat is SmartShift?
SmartShift uses your schedule, the forecast, and the thermal characteristics of your house to create a unique schedule each day to run your air conditioning and heating at the most efficient times, while keeping you perfectly comfortable when you're at home.
- Back to TopHow can I get SmartShift?
SmartShift is currently in limited release, this page will be updated when SmartShift becomes widely available.
- Back to TopHow do I turn SmartShift on?
To turn SmartShift on, click the SmartShift On/Off slider in the Target Temperature area of your thermostat view on the website so that the slider shows "ON." Note: you may have to wait until the next day for your first SmartShift schedule to take effect. To turn SmartShift off, click it so that the slider shows "OFF." You can also turn SmartShift on or off through one of the mobile apps.
- Back to TopWhat happens if I want to change the temperature when SmartShift is running?
You can temporarily override the SmartShift schedule by changing the thermostat's temperature on the website, mobile app, or the thermostat itself. The temporary override will remain in place until the next transition point in the SmartShift schedule. To turn SmartShift off for an extended period of time, click the SmartShift On/Off slider in the Target Temperature area of your thermostat view on the website so that the slider shows "OFF." You can also turn SmartShift off through one of the mobile apps.
- Back to TopWhy is my SmartShift schedule not running?
There are two likely reasons why your SmartShift schedule is not available. The most likely reason is that we do not have enough data about your home. If you just set up your thermostat, it may take several weeks to collect enough data to build a thermal model of your home. If your thermostat has been offline for a long period, it is also possible that we don't have enough data to accurately construct a SmartShift schedule. Until a SmartShift schedule is available, your thermostat will follow its normal schedule.
- Back to TopWhy can't I use Hold when SmartShift is turned ON?
SmartShift makes small daily adjustments to your scheduled target temperatures in order to help you save energy and maximize your comfort. To apply these target temperature changes, SmartShift uses the Hold function of your thermostat. Because of this you cannot use the Hold function independently of SmartShift.